The Eleanor Barnes Library
The Eleanor Barnes Library is a private library named in honor of Eleanor Barnes Garfield and holds 250 books of local, regional and New York State history and manuscripts, 4,700 photographic images, 16 digital reference books, and 21 maps and architectural records.
Our library has been collecting, preserving, and studying resources on New York State since 2007.
Some of our holdings especially worth noting are:
- Postcards and photographs of early Elmira and Chemung County
- Personal and family papers of Chemung River Valley residents
- Local sheet music of Elmira and Chemung County
- Diaries/journals of New York State teenagers from the 1800s
- Records of regional businesses that are no longer in operation
- Published regional history resources
Any questions? Ask our ARCHIVIST.